How To Apply by mail:
1. Download and print a copy of our PDF application form.
2. Fill out the form and mail it to us with the following:
- Manuscript or Portfolio
See the guidelines below
- Current Resumé
On a separate page, please provide names, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three people who are familiar with your work and would be willing to supply a reference if asked.
- Financial Status
If you would like to be considered for assistance based on financial need as well as merit, include financial documentation (a copy of the first page of your most recent income tax return, a recent W-2, a statement of need, etc.).
- $25 Application Fee
You may pay by check in US dollars, money order or credit card (VISA, Master Card, Discovery, American Express) using our online payment. The application fee is waived for the April 2, 2012 International Fellowship deadline. To waive the application fee, enter "VSC 4/2/2012" in the fee code box during checkout.
- Self-Addressed Stamped Postcard (Optional)
Returned to you as confirmation of receipt of your application.
3. Applications may be submitted at any time. Applicants who wish to be considered for a fellowship must submit their applications by the fellowship application deadlines (4/1 for specific international fellowships, 6/15, and 10/1 and 2/15 for all others); applications must be received, not postmarked, by the application deadline. For each deadline, applications are reviewed by a revolving jury of professional artists and writers, and the fellowship determinations made.
Include THREE (3) copies of your manuscript: For poets, maximum of 10 pages, no more than one poem per page. All other genres, maximum of 15 pages. Please use a standard typeface (e.g. Times, Palatino, Garamond, Courier), minimum 10–point type. Print on one side of the page only. Prose manuscripts should be double–spaced. Manuscripts must be submitted in an unpublished format. The first copy of the manuscript should include a cover sheet with your name, address, and title of the manuscript, along with a copy of your current resume, all bound together with a paper clip. The second and third copies should be corner stapled and include no cover sheet. Your name should not appear anywhere on the manuscript itself. Manuscripts will not be returned.
You may send up to 20 slides or digital images of your work. Please print and include a list that corresponds to your slides or digital images. For each image, this list must include your name and the title, size, medium and date of the image. When your application is first reviewed, only the first 4 images will be projected. Slides or CDs will only be returned if you include an SASE or sufficient international postal coupons. Please include a copy of your current resume.
- Must be submitted as JPEG files on a CD that can be read by Mac operating systems.
- Slideshows and Powerpoint presentations are not accepted.
- Each JPEG may be no larger than 1600 pix in any direction.
- Image resolution must be between 72 and 100 dpi.
- Each file must be less than 1MB.
- Must be labeled with the applicant’s family name followed by a period, first initial, underscore and number, for example:
- Must be mounted in cardboard or plastic mounts.
- Slide mounts should measure 2" x 2" (outside).
- Must be numbered 1-20.
- Top must be indicated with an arrow.
- Name, title, size, medium, and date must be indicated on each slide.
- The first 4 images will be projected.